The Visconti Studio Winter School is a week-long practical recording & production workshop. The 1st Winter School was held in Feb 2017, where 10 lucky participants worked alongside Tony Visconti to produce a track with the band Artbreak. It was a great week, you can hear the results in the video above and read about what happened here.
Our next PURE ANALOGUE Winter School will take place from 11 to 15 February 2019. This time we will be tracking a whole album, to tape, working under the expert guidance of legendary producer and engineer Chris Kimsey (Olympic Studios, The Rolling Stones, Marillion, Led Zeppelin, Peter Frampton, Emerson Lake & Palmer, Duran Duran, The Cult, and so many more). Participants will also receive on-the-job training from our in-house analogue experts Rob Plummer & Ebby Acquah.
During the week you will learn and practice the skills and tape-based workflow associated with the legendary sound of 1970s-era 24-track recording. The week will cover sound engineering, tracking rhythm sections, orchestral percussion, vocals, strings and horn overdubs.
At the end of the week-long experience, you will receive Visconti Studio Winter School certification and the satisfaction that you assisted in the production of a complete album, working with a group of world-class musicians, and alongside a legendary figure of 20th-century studio culture.
Topics covered during the week
- line up and operation our tape machines (Studer A827 2" 24-track, and A80 Stereo 1/4");
- tape-based tracking & editing;
- professional studio techniques for working with a wide range of instruments (acoustic/nylon-stringed guitars, string section, horns, orchestral, tuned and Latin percussion instruments, vintage keyboards, grand piano, vocals, etc)
- working effectively with the acoustics of Visconti Studio’s large, unique space;
- working as part of a production team in a fast-paced professional studio environment
Fee (with early bird discount): £675. This early bird discount is available until Jan 25th, 2019, while places remain. Our previous winter school cost £895 per person, so this represents a significant discount and includes the following:
- hands-on practical tuition in analogue recording and production for 5 days with legendary producer Chris Kimsey and the VS team;
- access to Visconti Studio's unique facilities;
- tape stock/consumables;
- lunch and refreshments for the 5 days;
- fully comped final drinks reception.
You must be available to attend daily sessions at the Visconti Studio from 10 am - 6 pm from Monday the 11th until Friday the 15th of February 2019.
To apply for one of only 7 (!) places in our PURE ANALOGUE Winter School 2019, get in touch by filling in this online form by January 25th, 2019. Once submitted, someone from the VS team will be in touch with further information.